Established by ordinance, pursuant to the State Planning and Zoning Law, the Planning Commission is responsible for long-range planning activities, including major use permits, commercial planned development permits, zone changes, code amendments, and modification to long-range planning documents, including the City’s General Plan and Local Coastal Plan. The Planning Commission consists of five (5) members who meet on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month at 6:00 PM.
|Seat||Member||Original Term Appointment||Current Term Expires|
The Planning Commission meets the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month at 6:00 PM in the City Council Chambers. Please see the City Calendar for changes in meeting schedule or to access the Agenda prior a meeting. Meetings will be broadcast live via Manhattan Beach Local Community Cable, Channel 8, and Live Streaming Video. Post meetings will be rebroadcast on Friday and Sunday at 12:00 PM and 8:00 PM (webcast links may intermittently be unavailable due to vendor's scheduled system's maintenance). Meetings also may be viewed on demand by selecting the date next to .
- Commissioners and boardmembers are volunteer positions and will serve without compensation.
- With staff liaison approval, commissioners and boardmembers may be reimbursed for their reasonable and necessary costs and expenses incurred in connection with the performance of their duties.
- Elected officials are not eligible to serve on any commission or board.
- It is customary for commissioners and boardmembers to serve on one commission at a time. Should there be an insufficient amount of applicants for the Board of Building Appeals, Resolution No. 5702 authorizes the City Council to appoint qualified members of Boards and Commissions who are concurrently serving on the Board of Building Appeals, as well.
Staff Liaison: Anne McIntosh, Community Development Director, (310) 802-5503.
Members serve 3 year terms. They may serve a maximum of two terms (6 years).
** Members appointed to fill a vacancy with less than 18 months remaining in the term are automatically reappointed to a three-year term without additional Council action.
*** If a vacant seat had 18 months or more remaining in its original term, the member would complete the original term and then be eligible for reappointment to one succeeding three-year term.
Cable television viewers experiencing any issues (audio or video quality) with cable broadcast are advised to do the following:
- Verizon customers should contact Verizon’s local business line at (800) 483-4000. Be sure to have the phone number or account number associated with the billing address ready.
- Time Warner customers should visit Time Warner's Loss of Picture Support page for assistance.
Link(s) may intermittently become unavailable during scheduled system maintenance or provider outage.
Planning Commission Action Minutes shall be posted the day after the meeting.