City Hall Hours are Mondays through Thursdays 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM and Fridays 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Before you plan a trip to City Hall, check out our Permitting Center Schedule to know when staff and services are available.
Public Records Request Webpage
When is a Residential Building Report Needed?
Prior to entering into a sale agreement or exchange of any residential building, the owner or his authorized representative shall obtain from the city a report of the residential building record showing the regularly authorized use, occupancy, and zoning classification of such property. The report is valid for a period not to exceed six-months from date of issue.
A Residential Building Report (PDF) form must be completed, paid for and submitted to the city for processing.
Based on the available information, the report should contain the following:
- The street address and legal description of subject property
- The zone classification and authorized use as set forth in this Code
- The occupancy as indicated and established by permits of record
- Variances, conditional use permits, exceptions, and other pertinent legislative acts of record
- Any special restrictions in use or development which may apply to the subject property.
- Toilet Retrofit Requirements Upon Sale of Residential Real Property. All existing residential buildings shall, at the time of sale before change of ownership, be retrofitted, if not already so, with high efficiency toilets, that meet the most current U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Water Sense program requirements, with a maximum standard of 1.28 gallons per flush. See also Section 9.36.110. Retrofits shall be in accordance with the toilet replacement procedure of the Community Development Department. Exceptions to this requirement shall be as follows:
- Toilets with prior valid Toilet Retrofit Certificates.
- When a change of ownership occurs as a result of:
- A transfer from one family member or co-owner to another family member or co-owner
- A decree of dissolution of marriage.
- When seller and buyer agree that the buyer will assume responsibility to retrofit toilets within 180 calendar days from title transfer date. A refundable deposit is required and will be forfeit after said 180 calendar days if no valid Toilet Retrofit Certificate is submitted to the City.
- When a proposed demolition permit application is submitted within 180 calendar days from title transfer date. A refundable deposit is required and shall be forfeit after said 180 calendar days if demolition permit application is not enacted.
- When a UL listed or other recognized listing/testing agency retrofit kit is installed that meets the maximum 1.28 gpf standard.
- Existing Toilets that are 1.6 gallons per flush or less will be exempt until January 1, 2014
- Other exemptions as determined by the Director of Community Development.
Complete Residential Building Report are detailed in City of Manhattan Beach Ordinance Chapter 9.24.
A general summary of development codes and ordinances can be found on the Planning Division's Zoning/Development Regulations page. The pages below describe recent ordinances or other regulation changes affecting development in Manhattan Beach.
Bulk/Volume and Mansionization page includes mergers, small home minor exceptions, open space, etc.
Tree Ordinance page for protected trees on private residential property
General Plan Housing Element page provides recent updates to the City of Manhattan Beach Housing Element
The Toilet Retrofit (PDF) Ordinance 2138, effective January 21, 2011, requires upgrades at time of home sales.
Construction Community Information
The Construction Community Newsletter is published by the Community Development Department. In addition to regular information from the Planning and Building and Safety Divisions, the newsletters also contain timely articles on energy conservation and articles from the Public Works, Fire and Police Departments – all relative to construction going on in the City.
The current issue of the newsletter can be requested using the City’s eNews Sign Up page.
Contact Us by Phone:
|Building and Safety||(310) 802-5505|
|Building Inspectors||(310) 802-5533|
|Inspection Request Line||(310) 802-5542|
|Planning and Zoning||(310) 802-5504|
|Code Enforcement||(310) 802-5518|
|Traffic Engineering||(310) 802-5522|
|Environmental Services||(310) 802-5508|
Or refer to our Contact the City page for a complete list of services.