To protect the health and safety of the public during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, City Hall and other facilities are closed to the public until further notice. The City continues to provide services during this time and recommends using technological alternatives where possible. For more information related to City services during this emergency, please visit the Coronavirus (COVID-19) page or call the City at (310) 802-5000.

Traffic, Parking, Right-of-Way, Trees

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

city hall closed to public-REV post May 15 

City Hall Hours are Mondays through Thursdays 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM and Fridays 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Before you plan a trip to City Hall, check out our Permitting Center Schedule to know when staff and services are available.

permitting center schedule button CSS Button  construction hours and holidays button


Right-of-Way Request Online


 Moving Van Request Online


 Public or Private Tree Information


Public Works Department Webpage 

   shutterstock_499646173 shutterstock_592247186  construction road 


What is needed to temporarily block traffic, work in a public accessed area, or park in a restricted location?

The Traffic Division handles requests and concerns from residents, conducts traffic and parking studies, and implements traffic control measures such as red curbs, stop signs, loading zones and restrictive parking signs. The Traffic Engineer provides technical analysis for traffic safety, parking and other related issues.

For additional information regarding Right-Of-Way requests, moving vans and POD's, please email the Traffic Engineering Division.

Additional Traffic Division resources can be found through the following links:

With Regards to Community Development, the Public Works Department, which encompasses, the Engineering Division, are responsible for the design, construction, operation and maintenance of all public infrastructure and public right-of-way. You can find additional information through the Public Works Department webpage.


How do I know if I need a permit for a tree?

Here are some general questions to help decide if a tree permit is needed:

  • Is it a private property tree removal located in Area Districts I & II (PDF); Are there trees 12” or larger located within the 20-foot front yard and corner side yard setbacks of residentially zoned property?
  • Is there a tree on private property or "street" tree that requires protection related to a larger construction project? 
  • For street tree removal; Is there any tree 12” or larger that abuts, is in front of, or is adjacent to the property?

If you answered yes to any of the questions above, please email Ernest Area, the City Urban Forester, for tree determination, tree consultation, or inspection information. For general information regarding trees, in relation to Planning, please call (310) 802-5520.

Additional information can be found in the on the Planning Division Tree Ordinance webpage and in the Manhattan Beach Tree Ordinance No. 2082 (PDF).

How to Apply for a Tree Permit (Private or Public/Right-of-Way)

  1. Apply for a Tree Permit through Citizen Self Service (located under the “Plans” category). Please visit the Citizen Self Service Information page to register.
  2. Follow steps one through six (1-6) and submit your application, to the best of your ability.
  3. City of Manhattan Beach Urban Forester, Ernest Area, will conduct a determination inspection.
  4. After the determination inspection, the Urban Forester will approve your application and send you an invoice, via email. He will also inform you of any attachments you are required to submit. Please come to City Hall to pay your invoice and submit the required attachments at the Community Development Counter.
  5. After verification, the Urban Forester will issue your permit via email, allowing you to start the permitted work.
  6. When your work is completed, please contact the Urban Forester for a final inspection. If you were required to pay a deposit, it will be refunded after your final inspection.


Required Additional Information – Removal & Replacement

Required Additional Information – Protection & Relocation

Tree Preservation Regulations

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer