The City of Manhattan Beach and Mia Lehrer + Associates have scheduled three community workshops to gather public input on the landscape master planning process for the Veterans Parkway. The goals of each of these public meetings are as follows:
Workshop #1: (March 11th) - download the Veterans Parkway Workshop #1 presentation (PDF)
Goal: Develop working relationship with the community, understand concerns, and gather initial feedback.
- Mia Lehrer + Associates: Introduction of the firm; briefing on past project experiences with similar issues as the Veterans Parkway; dialogue with attendees to establish relationship with the community.
- Presentation of understanding of past efforts from the community on the Veterans Parkway,
including the Greenbelt Restoration Project Master Plan, photos of existing conditions, maintenance concerns, etc.
- Presentation of large-scale plan on the wall illustrating findings of the site conditions.
- Community Exercise: Attendees will be asked to come up to the wall and write their comments on the map (or place sticky notes) on different areas to share their thoughts.
- Data gathering: Attendees will be asked to complete a questionnaire when they arrive to provide input on their views of Veterans Parkway.
Comments from the first meeting were gathered on large scale maps of Veterans Parkway. You can view the maps from Workshop #1 by downloading the Comments Displayed on Maps from Veterans Parkway Workshop #1 document (PDF).
Workshop #2: (April 11th) - download the Veterans Parkway Workshop #2 presentation (PDF)
Goal: Discussion of draft concept plans and gathering of comments from the community.
- Presentation of a draft plan of the planting concepts, potential plant palette, phasing plan, and any other recommendations for improvements that were gathered from the initial community meeting.
Download the Strategy Board (PDF) and What We Heard (PDF) documents to see how the comments from Workshop #1 were collected, summarized, and turned into a concept for future improvements to the Veterans Parkway.
- More information on the April 11th meeting is available on the Workshop #2 Agenda (PDF).
Comments from the second meeting were gathered on large scale maps of Veterans Parkway. You can view the maps from Workshop #2 by downloading the following three documents (PDF):
Veterans Parkway Recommended Concepts Section 1
Veterans Parkway Recommended Concepts Section 2
Veterans Parkway Recommended Concepts Section 3
Workshop #3: (May 2nd) - Download the Veterans Parkway Workshop #3 presentation (PDF) and see below to review DRAFT materials
Goal: Review final plans and gather input from the community in preparation for presentation to City Council.
- Present the final Landscape Master Plan for Veterans Parkway, including the maintenance plan and policies for donor and volunteer involvement.
You can review DRAFT materials in prepartion for the May 2nd discussion on the Landscape Master Plan guidelines and concepts. You can also review the Agenda for Landscape Master Plan Workshop #3 (PDF).
- Download the DRAFT Veterans Parkway Introduction (PDF) to review the Site Analysis and Community Outreach results
- Download the DRAFT - Landscape Master Plan Guidelines document (PDF)
Comments from Workshop #3 are available by downloading the documents below:
- Comments from Workshop 3 - part 1 (PDF)
- Comments from Workshop 3 - part 2 (PDF)
- Comments from Workshop 3 - part 3 (PDF)
Presentation to City Council - View the presentation online here: June 25, 2013
Mia Lehrer and Associates reviewed the public process and site analysis that was involved in creating the Landscape Master Plan Guidelines for Veterans Parkway (PDF). The Presentation to City Council (PDF) is available to review.
Sign up for the City's eNews service to receive automatic meeting notice reminders.