Dear New Business Owners,
The Manhattan Beach Fire Department would like to take the opportunity to welcome you to the business community of Manhattan Beach.
Our goal is to serve and protect you, your employees, your business and your neighbor’s business. By having a though fire prevention program. We can prevent many of the problems that could cause a business to have a costly downtime or close.
The Fire Department will contact you on an annual basis for an updated fire inspection. The purpose of this follow-up is for continued fire safety to update our computer files as to emergency phone contact, and to act as an information base to serve you
Following you will find some basic Fire Department requirements that can serve as a general guideline prior to our initial inspection. If you have any questions, Please fell free to contact our Fire Prevention Bureau, Monday through Friday. 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM at (310) 802-5205, (310) 802-5206
Best wishes for a successful business.
- Fire prevention Bureau
BASIC FIRE DEPARTMENT REQUIREMENTS
These are general guidelines only. More specific requirements will be pointed out during the business license inspection, or you may call the Fire Prevention Bureau, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Provide a minimum of one portable fire extinguisher, size 2A10BC for every 75 foot travel distance. These extinguishers must be serviced annually or after each use, and hung 3 to 5 feet from the floor in a readily accessible area.
- Do not use extension cords, multiple plug adapters or ant device which allows more than one appliance to be plugged into each electrical outlet. The only exception would be an approved power strip, which includes a UL listing, fuse and or breaker- type adapter.
- Do not lock, block or obstruct any exit and provide a sign over it stating (This door is to remain open during business hours).
- Provide approved flammable liquid lockers for combustible or flammable liquids in excess of 10 gallons.
- All storage shall be kept 36 inches below ceiling or 18 inches below sprinklers if building is sprinkled. Maximum storage height is 15 feet without in-rack sprinklers.
- A 30-inch minimum clearance shall be maintained around all power panels.
- Keep water heaters and space heaters free of all combustibles.
- Any awning or canopy must pass a flame test per the standards set forth in the Uniform Fire Code.
- All commercial cooking surfaces, where grease-laden vapors are produced, shall be protected by an approved fixed extinguishing system, and said system shall be serviced semi-annually or after each use. A 40BC portable fire extinguisher shall be mounted near cooking areas.