|Follow us on|
Please note, parking along Valley Drive (between 15th Street and the crosswalk near the Tennis Courts) is limited to 4 hours (effective 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Saturday) as indicated by signage.
The OASIS (Older Adults and Seniors Interactive Space) Room, located at the Joslyn Community Center (1601 Valley Drive) opened in 2007 and is a daytime activity space where adults ages 55 and over can participate in recreation, socialization, educational, and fitness activities. The OASIS is also a resource center where you may find a variety of helpful and relevant services.
All OASIS participants must read the Rules of Conduct before using the OASIS room.
Joslyn Center Senior OASIS Room Code of Conduct
Welcome to the Joslyn Center Senior OASIS Room. This room is a daytime activity space where adults, ages 55 and above, can participate in recreation, socialization, educational and fitness activities, as well as find a variety of helpful, relevant services.
The City of Manhattan Beach is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for our participants, visitors and staff. To help ensure a supportive setting for all who attend, the following Code of Conduct was established.
It is imperative that all participants act appropriately while at the Joslyn Center Senior Southeast Room or any of its satellite locations. This means that people should treat each other with dignity and respect at all times.
The following is not acceptable conduct:
- Profanity, vulgarity, or explicit sexual language
- Hate speech or epithets (e.g. racial, ethnic, sexist, homophobic and religious slurs)
- Promotion of or engaging in any illegal activities
- Participating while under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs
- Harassment of any kind to anyone
- Fighting, physical abuse, challenging others to fight, destroying or damaging property
- Be flexible in accepting alternate facility assignments or modification to schedules due to maintenance, scheduling conflicts and emergency situations
- Should you wish to circulate a petition or survey, promote or sell tickets for an organization or event that is not sponsored by the City, seek the approval of the Older Adults Coordinator
- Tampering with Joslyn Center Senior Southeast Room equipment
Each participant should be able to socialize and interact with others in an independent positive manner. Everyone should treat those they encounter in the same manner that they would like to be treated.
Failure to comply with the above will be addressed in the following manner:
- First Incident: Counseling with Older Adults Coordinator followed by letter to the participant. Copy of letter will be sent to Recreation Services Manager.
- Second Incident: Counseling with a verbal warning from the Older Adults Coordinator and Recreation Services Manager followed by a letter to the participant.
- Third Incident: Suspension (up to 1, 2, or 3 months and/or permanent expulsion, depending on the severity of the offense) from attending any City of Manhattan Beach older adults activities, documented by letter to the participant.
Participants returning to the Joslyn Center Senior Southeast Room in violation of the suspension or expulsion order will be asked to leave by staff. Should this approach be unsuccessful, public safety personnel (police) will be called to assist and protect the safety and welfare of staff and participants.
Enjoy your visit in the OASIS