|Follow us on|
Located at Highland and 27th Street
Obtained in 1929
This is the oldest park site in Manhattan Beach. It is truly one of the most beautiful and scenic public properties in the area. Situated on a sloping terraced grassy hillside, the approximately three-acre park is one of the best ocean and sunset viewing areas away from the beach. A small basketball half-court is located in the center of the park and numerous shade trees and park benches are strategically located near the top of the park for resting and relaxation.
Reservations are not accepted for this park.
Note: There is a dog-on-Leash area on the lower west end of the park, just west of the basketball courts. Please download and read the Bruce's Beach Dog Rules (PDF) before taking your dog to the park.
The History of Bruce's Beach
In 1912, Mr. George Peck, one of our community’s co-founders, made it possible for the beach area below this site to be developed as Bruce’s Beach, the only beach resort in Los Angeles County for all people. Charles and Willa Bruce were the African American entrepreneurs who settled here, thus the name Bruce’s Beach. This two-block neighborhood was home to several minority families and was condemned through eminent domain proceedings commenced in 1924. Those tragic circumstances reflected the views of a different time.
The land was referred to as City Park and Beach Front Park and later named Bayview Terrace Park through a community contest in 1962.
The park was designated Parque Culiacan on March 16, 1974 at the time of a visit from representatives of our first Sister City.
The Manhattan Beach City Council renamed the park as Bruce’s Beach in July 2006, commemorating our community’s understanding that friendship, goodwill and respect for all begins within our own boundaries and extends to the world community. All are welcome.
A project of Leadership Manhattan Beach Class of 2003
If you would like to see the program from the dedication ceremony please download the Bruce's Beach Dedication Ceremony Program (PDF).