INFORMATION TO CANDIDATES – SELECTION PROCESS
POLICE ACADEMY TRAINEE
This web page provides an overview of our selection process to individuals who are interested in a law enforcement career as a Police Officer with the City of Manhattan Beach. To learn more about statewide peace officer standards, visit the State's Peace Officer Standards and Training website.
Police Academy Trainee
- Application Evaluation - Applications and supplemental materials are submitted to the Human Resources Office. Application information is reviewed and those persons whose background and experience best meet the needs of the Department are invited to participate in the selection process. Please refer to the “Reasons for Rejection” Fact Sheet for additional information.
- The selection process may consist of the following components and exam weights: Written exam (70%) and physical abilities test (30%).
- Written Test – The first component of this examination is the written test. For entrance to the written test, candidates must show picture identification, such as a driver’s license, along with their admittance letter. (Candidates wishing to re-take the written test may not do so until six months and must re-apply in order to be considered.)
- Physical Agility Testing: (30%) The physical agility test will be scheduled approximately 2 weeks after the written test, and will include:
- Timed Run (500 yards)
- Scale 2 six-foot walls (chain link and solid)
- Dummy drag (165 lbs.)
- Obstacle course
- Those who successfully pass the physical agility test will then be invited to participate in an oral interview.
- Following successful passage of the oral interview, candidates will undergo a comprehensive background investigation to include credit, criminal, and DMV review, neighborhood check, reference letters, employment history, and polygraph examination.
- Final Selection is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the extensive background investigation, a polygraph examination, a Chief's Interview, pre-employment medical examination, and psychological examination. Candidates must successfully pass each step of the recruitment and selection process to be placed on the eligible list. (The overall score will determine the applicant’s rank on the eligible list. Candidates who obtain an overall passing score remain on the eligible list for a period of six months. During this time, they may be contacted by the Police Department for further consideration. Please note that this is a merged eligible list. Names are added and deleted on a continuous basis, as a result, your ranking order on the list is subject to change. Veteran's Credit)
Persons appointed to the position of Police Academy Trainee will be sent to a POST approved Basic Police Academy for 26 weeks. Upon successful completion of the Academy, appointees are sworn in as a full-time Police Officer, and eligible for the salary rate and benefits of Police Officer.
The City of Manhattan Beach does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status, political affiliation, sex, age, or disability status. Note: A drug test will be administered as part of the pre-employment medical exam.
We hope that this information is helpful to you in preparing for our selection process for Police Academy Trainee.