Dispose of Household Hazardous Waste the Right Way!
Improper disposal of hazardous waste is illegal in California and can pollute our environment and endanger our children and pets.
The City of Manhattan Beach provides convenient residential resources for properly disposing of Household Hazardous Waste, Electronic Waste (e-waste) and Universal Waste (U-Waste): either doorstep pick-up at home or a nearby drop-off location.
At Your Door Special Collection (At-home pick-up)
Call (800) 449-7587 or visit At Your Door to schedule a pick-up.
Once a pick-up is scheduled, the resident will receive a package in the mail with a large bag, zip tie, labels, and simple instructions for setting out the materials for pick-up. Single-family and Multi-family residents may receive unlimited scheduled pick-ups annually at no additional charge. This service is provided as part of the city's solid waste contract with Waste Management and is included in the existing trash rate.
Hyperion Treatment Plant S.A.F.E. Collection Center (Drop-off location)
Drive-thru style Hazardous Waste facility.
7660 West Imperial Highway, Gate B
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
Operating Hours: Saturday and Sunday 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
***RESIDENTS ARE LIMITED TO A TOTAL OF (6) SIX PIECES PER VISIT TO THE S.A.F.E. CENTER***
This service is available at no additional charge to all residents of Los Angeles County.
What Materials Are Accepted?
All types of paints, stains/varnishes, solvents, glues, antifreeze, small propane tanks, used motor oil and filters, transmission fluid, coolants, batteries, lighter fluid, acids, pesticides, household cleaners, pool chemicals, CRT's (computer monitors), old TV's, compact fluorescent tubes and bulbs, thermostats and other mercury-containing lamps, and medicines.
Be Sure That:
- The containers are not leaking
- You DO NOT mix hazardous waste
- You DO NOT bring explosives, ammunition or radioactive material
- The contents of the containers are the same as stated on the label
- (Drop-off only) You do not bring items during rain as the collection is suspended during that time
- (Drop-off only) Not more than 15 gallons of paint or 125 pounds of hazardous waste are brought to each visit
- (Drop-off only) You bring a valid form of identification such as a California drivers license or California I.D.
What Materials Are Not Accepted?
Business and/or commercial waste, ammunition, explosives, radioactive material, biological waste or tires. Bulky items: furniture, refrigerators, washing machines/dryers, conventional ovens, paper and computer software. Bulky items can be picked up by Waste Management (call (310) 830-7100 to schedule a pickup); each resident is entitled to three bulky item pickups per calendar year.
- Large BBQ propane tanks can be disposed of at no additional charge at Amerigas in Gardena (16800 S. Main St. Gardena, CA 90248) during business hours (Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM - 4:00PM, closed for lunch from 11:00AM - 12noon). Amerigas Gardena may be reached at (800) 834-4169.
- Small tanks closer to the size of a thermos can be disposed of at no additional charge at the Hyperion SAFE Collection Center (7660 W. Imperial Hwy, Gate B; Saturdays & Sundays from 9:00AM - 3:00PM) or at one of the Los Angeles County Hazardous Waste Round-Up events. Click here to learn more about these programs and to find an event near you.
- To find a location nearest you to dispose of items not accepted at the S.A.F.E. Collection Center, click on Earth911.
- Create your own Alternative Household Products (PDF) with nontoxic ingredients
- Hazardous waste generated by businesses are not eligible for the free HHW Collection Events. Businesses in Los Angeles County may qualify for the Small Quantity Generator Collection Program.